The Playgoer: REVIEW: Nelson (Time Out)

Custom Search

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

REVIEW: Nelson (Time Out)

My review of the new play, Nelson. In Time Out NY.

While I can't fully recommend this one, I still have fond memories of the playwright, Sam Marks' earlier work Craft, which I saw at HERE all the way back in '02. Just a modest little slice of life about weed salesmen. But how often do you see that! I remember it as gritty, yet humorous, unpretentious and, most importantly, authentic. There was a scene where the dealers have to scramble as the cops approach and hand the goods to whoever is least likely to get searched, or can most afford to be arrested. At last, a play with practical advice.

Anyway, I'm glad to read in Marks' bio that HBO has optioned Craft for development into a series. At least, I hope that's a good thing.

No comments: