The Playgoer: REVIEW: Bouffon Glass Menajoree (Time Out)

Custom Search

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

REVIEW: Bouffon Glass Menajoree (Time Out)

My review of the Tennessee Williams clownshow parody "Bouffon Glass Menajoree" in this week's Time Out New York.

No one was more surprised at my favorable response than I. And there's a lot that's annoying about this show. But I can't deny it succeeded in what it set out to do, and that it made me laugh. Definitely some funny in-jokes for Williams fans.

I also have to say it's an ideal show for Williamsburg's Brick Theatre. This was my first time at the Brick, and it really reminded me of little those North Side cabaret theatres in Chicago, where lots of young-ish people actually turn out to see theatre for a good time. And who are not necessarily theatre people, but just live in the neighborhood. I guess it helps that you can buy a drink at the box office and take it to your seat. (In fact this show might be impossible without alcohol.) While the casual atmosphere in the confined space may not work for, say, Ibsen, it can bring the welcome energy of a comedy club to a piece of theatre that needs such a vibe.

And, yes, I know the Brick is the conclave of blogger Ian Hill. But honestly I never met Ian before showing up for this show. He also did do the lighting, it turns out, but did not produce. And I didn't reference his design in the review.

I disclose, you decide.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you know the queer send-up of GM by Chris Durang -- the name is escaping me. It's HILARIOUS. I wonder how this compares.

Anonymous said...

For whom the Southern Belle Tolls