The Playgoer: Holy Shit, The Ohio???

Custom Search

Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Holy Shit, The Ohio???

Believe it or not this mainstay venue of the more upscale Off-Off scene may become the latest member of "Another One Bites The Dust" club of doomed downtown spaces.

The building that houses the Ohio is being sold, and in a few weeks or months the Ohio Theatre will almost certainly cease to exist. Robert Lyons, artistic director of Soho Think Tank, a nonprofit group that administers the Ohio and produces the OBIE-award winning Ice Factory Festival, describes the situation: "In one way or another, our days are numbered. It's just a matter of what that number is. We're trying to finish the season lined up through June. We could possibly still be here in the summer for Ice Factory '09. It could all end as soon as the end of January."
Read why in the Voice online. Alexis S. there prognosticates:
While institutions such as the Performing Garage, the Drawing Center, and Here Arts Center remain, the Ohio's closing--and its likely conversion into a retail space--further completes Soho's transformation from artists' haven to shopper's paradise.
A rundown of the space's illustrious history is available at the Soho Think Tank site.

6 comments:

Aaron Riccio said...

It kills me, too, because the show they're doing right now at the Ohio, "Dance Dance Revolution" is totally sold out. I've never been to a show at the Ohio, not even from their oddest stuff, that doesn't have at least ten people there, and it tends to draw a packed crowd of people in the know (especially for limited runs) . . . sad to see a popular venue go. (Especially since the space itself is really interesting.)

Malachy Walsh said...

This is truly depressing. The Think Tank gave one of my plays a much needed kick in the ass and I've seen many shows there.

If Robert's prediction turns out to be true, I won't find any solace in saying, "I remember when...."

Anonymous said...

Jesus Christ.

I couldn't tell you how many plays I performed in there and how many I saw there. Also it's where I met my wife. I may add that Robert Lyons is one of New York theatre's great mensches.

A major loss.

Edward Einhorn said...

There is no other independent theater space like this. Of all my theatrical experiences, my time in the Ohio during the Havel Festival may be my favorite. To lose it is a true tragedy.

Anonymous said...

I am sick, sick about this.

Anonymous said...

ORGANIZE! SIT-IN IN THE THEATER! BREAK WINDOWS AT THE NEW OWNERS' FANCY BUILDINGS. (okay, that one goes to far for me.) BUT CAN'T THE COMMUNITY DO SOMETHING -- EVEN TO DRAW ATTENTION TO THE PROBLEM OF SPACES GETTING SOLD OUT FROM UNDER US INSTEAD OF JUST BEING SAD AND SICK?